The “Alte Pinakothek” is one of the world’s major art galleries and presents European masterpieces from the Middle Ages through to the 18th century. Founded by King Ludwig I, it celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2011. The then pioneering architecture by Leo von Klenze presents works by masters such as Albrecht Dürer and Peter Paul Rubens in all their impressive beauty.
This museum at Nymphenburg Castle shows more than 1,000 exhibits from the Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory, which was founded in the 18th century. The collection is based on samples assembled by Albert Bäuml, an entrepreneur and director of the Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory. Among the highlights are the delicate figurines of the Commedia dell’arte by Franz Anton Bustelli which take today’s beholder back into 18th-century court life.
Located in Prinzregentenstrasse, the National Bavarian Museum houses collections of art and cultural history of European standing, from the Romanesque era to the 20th century. They are primarily of Southern German, Bavarian and Munich origin. Among the highlights are wood sculptures in gothic style by Tilmann Riemenschneider and delicate porcelain figurines by Franz Anton Bustelli. The museum‘s collections of nativity scenes are also famous well beyond regional boundaries.
This fascinating moated castle complex with the St. Sigismund castle chapel is a masterpiece of Late Gothic. It was built as a hunting lodge in the 15th century by the Wittelsbach Duke Albrecht III. It is surrounded by the River Würm and has a circular rampart, fortified towers and a moat.
The Cuvilliés Theatre (formerly known as the Residence Theatre) is considered to be Germany’s major Rococo theatre. It is today located in the so-called Apothekenstock (Apothecary Block) of the Munich Residenz and is one of the leading buildings designed by François de Cuvilliés. The theater with its Rococo splendour, where in 1781 the world premiere of Mozart’s Idomeneo was staged, takes you into the world of baroque royal opera.
You have always wanted to see an original “Wolpertinger”, the famous mythical creature? Then come to the Museum of Hunting and Fishing in Munich’s pedestrian area! The exhibition provides comprehensive information on Bavaria’s hunting history.
The German Museum was founded by Oskar von Miller and is built on an island in the River Isar. With its extensive range of some 28,000 exhibits from about 50 fields of science and technology, it is the largest museum of its kind in the world. The spectacular exhibition bears witness to mankind’s age-old pursuit of knowledge and progress and also includes modern developments such as nano technology.
A branch of the National Bavarian Museum is today housed in the former ballrooms of Lustheim Palace in the grounds of Schleissheim Castle. It contains the largest collection of 18th century Meissen porcelain outside Dresden, donated by industrialist Prof. Dr. Ernst Schneider. In the splendour of Lustheim castle the delicate pieces unfold all their beauty and tell of the economical and non-material importance of the „White Gold“ to Europe’s baroque courts.
The Glyptothek Museum and State Antiquities Collection are located on Königsplatz. The Glyptothek Museum presents a prolific collection of ancient Greek and Roman statues and sculptures. The Antiquities Collection is one of Germany’s largest museums of Greek, Etruscan and Roman art.
The museum gained international renown largely through the world’s most comprehensive collection of works of „der Blaue Reiter“ (the Blue Rider). Around 1900, this Munich group of artists which included, among others, Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Franz Marc, August Macke, Gabriele Münter und Alexej Jawlensky, looked for new ways of art and expression in rejection of the artistic establishement of their time. Both revolutionary and challenging, their master pieces are shown to advantage in the recently redesigned Lenbachhaus.
This modern museum building in Munich’s art district houses the collection of the donors, Udo and Anette Brandhorst. Altogether, the collection comprises more than 700 works of art, with a focus on the works of artists who have had a decisive influence on art since 1945.
With some 150,000 items, the Five Continents Museum, former State Museum of Ethnology, shows the uniqueness and cultural diversity of the world. Its exhibits include artworks and objects of cultural value from non-European countries. Together with special exhibitions, it has permanent exhibitions on Africa, India, East Asia, North and South America, Oceania and the islamic orient.
This collection presents an overview of the epochs of European art from the Enlightenment to the dawn of the era of Modernism and so includes the late 18th, the whole of the 19th and the early 20th century. Together with Classicist paintings and sculptures, works of Romanticism, Art Nouveau and Impressionism are on show.
The Pinakothek Gallery of Modernism in Munich’s art district houses four museums under one roof – the art, graphics, architecture and design of the 20th and 21st centuries are exhibited in a unique museum building. With works from Modernism to contemporary art by artists such as Pablo Picasso, Mex Beckmann, Joseph Beuys and Andy Warhol, the Pinakothek Gallery of Modernism is the completion of its adjoining elder siblings, the Old and the New Pinakothek.
The town palace of the Wittelsbach family was the home and seat of government of the Bavarian dukes, electors and kings. It is the largest palace located in a city centre in Germany and houses one of Europe’s major museums of interior design. The museum shows the styles of the palace as they developed over the centuries, with exhibits from the Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and Classicist periods.
The Schack Gallery was created from the collection of Count Adolf Friedrich von Schack, a patron of the arts. It is located in Prinzregentenstrasse and primarily contains works of Munich and German landscape and historic painters of the 19th century.
At the end of the 19th century the master painter Franz von Stuck (1863-1928) stood in the very centre of Munich’s high society. He himself designed the studio and living accomodation in his neo-Classicist mansion located in Prinzregentenstrasse in Bogenhausen, which was built in 1897/98. They were groundbreaking and an hommage to art nouveau. To this day the Stuck villa conveys the zeitgeist of the fin du siécle. Its exhibits include the studio and living accommodation with Stuck’s paintings. The inner courtyard and garden have been laid out as shown by historic plans.